Thursday, August 5, 2010

St. Theresa Church



My Hawaii parish church is St. Theresa Church in Mountain View. It is located along Volcano Road, or Highway 19, near the fifteen-mile-marker. Coincidentally, it is also located at an altitude of just over fifteen hundred feet.
The first time I visited St. Theresa Church was five years ago. As we were driving up the mountain to house-sit near Volcano National Park, I was drawn to the small, quaint church structure with a sign proclaiming perpetual adoration. I thought to myself that such devotion to Our Lord in the remote setting might have some future meaning to my life. And indeed, it has.
I try to attend daily Mass at St. Theresa as often as possible. There is a reverent atmosphere in the church and among the people who worship there. I feel drawn to worship there because it is quiet and I find it easy to open myself in prayer so that I can "hear" God, and communicate with God.
After Mass on Tuesday, I talked with parishioner Gavin Kaisen. He told me that he converted from the Tenrikyo religion to Catholicism five years ago. He said that his wife had invited him to attend Perpetual Adoration, and that he was drawn by Our Lord's presence to open himself to join the Church.
I was struck by Gavin's intense commitment to his new faith. I was touched that he would share his conversion account with me.
He further told me that the parish no longer has Perpetual Adoration. But they do have two holy hours each week, one at their mission church, Holy Rosary in Keeau, and one, of course, at St. Theresa's.
On Wednesday, I attended the holy hour after Mass, where Fr. Sal blessed us with Our Lord's presence in the monstrance (see picture). Fr. Sal is a very prayerful and thoughtful priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment