Monday, August 2, 2010

Today



Today was another beautiful day in Hilo.
It rained fairly continuously in Mountain View, where we live.
It was also the first day of school in Hawaii.
Imagine that...the first day of school is August 2. That's pretty early.
My son, Aaron, would have turned 34 today.
It's the feast of St. Eusebius of Vercelli, a fourth century bishop.
I was surprised to learn of another saint whose feast day is today: St. Peter Julian Eymard.
St. Peter Julian was the founder of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, the priests (and brother) who serve at St. Joseph Church in downtown Hilo, where I went to Mass today.
I met Fathers Sam Loterte and Greg de Guzman last week when my friend, Fr. Carlos Saligumba, visited me. I learned that the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament is composed of priests, brothers, and sisters. Interestingly, St. Peter intended to include laity and deacons in their order, like the composition in the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT), the order with which I am involved. Small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment