Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Slave of Love to Mary and Jesus


Total Consecration involves a vow of love so complete that the term "slave" is used. Some very distinguished Catholic writers have been "completely turned off" by this phrasing and approach, considering it to be distasteful and offensive. Interestingly, today's second reading at Mass was from Paul's letter to Philemon and concerned the matter of a slave (Onesimus) that was imprisoned with Paul and who had converted to Christianity. I happened to proclaim this reading to St. Louis Church at the 10:00 am Mass this morning myself, and I had to wonder how this reading impacted the mostly African-American congregation.
I should note, though, that as a white person, I felt uncomfortable presenting this reading. The American history of slavery has been horrifically ugly and violent, especially in its after-effects like continuing segregation and racism.
I just read a review of The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration and found myself unnerved by the continuing legacy of slavery through Jim Crow laws, and the harsh and terrible discrimination not only in the southern US, but also after the great migration, in the north US.
So there is definitely a lot of punch and bite in using a term like "slave of love to Mary and Jesus" in being consecrated totally, as I am now doing (for the ninth consecutive year). It is a total abasement and oblation of self to God, something so deep and profound that I can barely grasp it. Sin is ugly, and requires warfare to address it and conquer it, and total abandonment to Jesus and Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment