Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Full-Course Meal!



I slept an incredible 14&1/2 hours last night after my overnight flight from Hawaii on Friday, so I went to an evening Mass tonight.
Before I went, though, I read about an advent festival at the downtown Episcopal Cathedral at 5:00 pm tonight. Since I planned to go to the downtown Catholic Cathedral for Mass at 6:00 pm, I decided to sample the festival before heading over to Mass.
In effect, I had a full-course meal, with "A Festival of Advent Lessons and Music" at the Episcopal Cathedral (top picture) serving as my appetizer, and the Mass at the Catholic Cathedral (lower picture) becoming a wonderful banquet.
While the music was nice at the Festival, it was extraordinary at the Mass. One of the most beautiful songs was "The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns" by John Brownlie, who lived from 1857 to 1925. Both lyrics and melody were gorgeous and sumpteous. I can't describe what a joy it was to celebrate such a liturgically perfect Mass with incredible music and an advent theme in the cold December evening, inside of a warm and glowing cathedral.
How good God is!

No comments:

Post a Comment