Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Scrupulosity


Karol loves the Little Flower, St. Therese of Liseaux. Over the years of our marriage, she has shared with me many times how "the little way" contrasts with my more rigid observance of my faith.
I really could not appreciate and understand this "little way". I could see the huge impact it had on Karol's life and spirituality. She is a deeply humble person, unlike me, and she was, and still is, almost totally focused on loving and caring for our children, now adults.
Interestingly, the parish in which we reside is St. Theresa Parish, after the Little Flower. Moreover, we have a grotto in our back yard in Hawaii where we installed a small statue of St. Therese. It is lovely.
So when I arrived in Hawaii recently for Thanksgiving and found myself exhausted and jet-lagged, with other modern anxieties in tow, I picked up one of Karol's books about The Little Flower and devoured it! More than ever before, I "got" her, as "they" say. Then, when I came across her reflections on her battle with "scruples" (a term then in use which is now referred to as scrupulosity), I saw myself. I saw what Karol had been seeing in me throughout our marriage.
I asked the Lord for healing, and to be possessed more by Him, as completely as it would be possible. In other words, I let Him take charge, so that I would even give Him now my worries and anxieties, not just what I thought was worthy in me to give Him.
What a difference!
Thank you, Lord, for this marvelous Flower you gave us; for the love of my wife, who has guided me to this little, and wonderful, way, of love and mercy and forgiveness (of self).
I'm prepared to return to Kansas City this Friday and to resume my work and training. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment